Business & Community – Weybridge Town Business Group
WEYBRIDGE TOWN BUSINESS GROUP APRIL 2020 UPDATE
I hope that you are all well and safe.
As we are unable to get together at the moment, I thought I would just update you on what has been happening and achieved since our last meeting at the end of February.
The Covid 19 Coronavirus pandemic has affected all of our lives and whilst the safety of all is paramount it has in particular affected massively the business operations in our town.
Elmbridge Borough Council have lots of information on its website relating to the actions the council have and are taking as well as useful information on what help is available. I will list some available support below and Doug Perkins the Economic Development Officer at Elmbridge can offer more assistance.
01372 474 176
Support For Businesses
Coronavirus loan interruption scheme for mid and large sized businesses is live from 20th April. Visit GOV.UK Website
Grant funding of £10,000 for any businesses eligible for small business rate relief (A property with a rateable value up to £15,000)
Grant funding of £25,000 for Retail, Hospitality and Leisure businesses with property with a rateable value between £15,000 and £51,000.
12 month business rates holiday for all retail, Hospitality, Leisure and Nursery Businesses in England.
Please E-Mail email@example.com if you think you meet the criteria for business grants or the business rates holiday and they can double check for you.
Help for Self Employed with grants through the self-employment income support scheme.
There is a lot more information and Doug and the Economic development team at Elmbridge can help.
1. Our VE Day “Cake Off” Market due for the 9th May is postponed to September 12th. We have incurred some printing costs. We have let all stallholders know of the changed dates.
2. Our Union Flags will go up throughout the Town from Monday 27th April so that they are in place to brighten us up and be in place for the VE Day bank holiday on the 8th May.
3. The Streetscape project continues and most of the paving is now complete. Pavers for the shared parking spaces linking the road to the pathway are still awaited and the project can be completed when these arrive.
The performance area is now ready and we will share with you ideas for music and other acts that will be able to use this area when we are released.
4. There is a local charity supporting hospitals by making kit for them to wear that have contacted us. helpyournhs.co.uk
5. The community Infrastructure Levy due for 2020-2021 has been cancelled and the next date for submitting applications will be February 2021.
6. Councillor Charu Sood and Councillor Tim Oliver have been very supportive with our desire to improve the garden space at the top of Monument Hill. I am also grateful to Liz Denham for her support. Plans are in place to prune the trees and to remove the railings. We have seen works carried out by Hillcrest that have cleared some of the site. I hope that we can take this opportunity to improve the whole of this important entry to our town.
Thats all for now.
Please stay safe.
WEYBRIDGE TOWN BUSINESS GROUP
Local Businesses working together and with local groups and bodies to:
- Improve the town centre and promote Weybridge as an attractive place to regularly visit for shopping, entertainment and services.
- Build successful business relationships
- Encourage key stakeholders to support growth of our businesses
The Local Community Needs A Thriving Weybridge Town Centre
Weybridge businesses and the local community have a shared interest in ensuring the town centre thrives, so that it is an attractive place to visit and can offer a good range of shops, entertainment and services.
By creating an environment in which local businesses thrive, entrepreneurs are rewarded for their investment, initiatives, risks and work. This secures the long-term prospects for the town and encourages further investment and jobs instead of a decline and abandoned town centre.
Successful Weybridge businesses will be able to provide local jobs and generate a healthy local economy. The mutual benefits for the community and businesses will make the town a more pleasant place to live and work. We would ask all local businesses to take up the opportunities offered by the initiatives of the business group and to enthusiastically join us.
Successful Cake Off and Cycle Ride events held on Monument Green with over 50 cakes and 40 Market stalls along with Brooklands Radio to bring customers to the Town.
Streetscape scheme to improve the area from The Ship to Elmgrove Road move to 16 week planning stage. Start date planned for early February 2019.
Eyesores of Public Toilet and Phone booths removed creating space available for planned performance area.
Successful 2017 Christmas event in Baker street with trees provided by Business Group with sponsors, Residents and local authority. Over 25 market stalls, monies raised for charities, Rotary clubs excellent Sleigh and Father Christmas in attendance, Choirs and Food. Another event planned for 1st December 2018.
Over 25 Union Flags renewed and provided for Town by the Business Group to celebrate the British summer and the Cycle ride.
Parking and Traffic reviews led by the Weybridge society supported by the Business group in influencing a forward looking solution in Weybridge.
Dementia Friendly Weybridge through the Weybridge DAA led by St James Church supported by the Business group creating a more welcoming and friendly town for Dementia sufferers.
The Weybridge Town Business Group is working to give Weybridge Businesses an influential voice. Support us please.
Paul Povey – Chairman
Weybridge Christmas Trees & Lights Fundraising Campaign
Please Help To Make Weybridge Festive This Year
MEETINGS AND MEMBERSHIP
New Members Welcome
Meetings are held monthly so please come along and get involved. Hear about our plans have your say, and meet representatives of other local businesses / organisations.
Current members, please bring a friend and sign them up to the business group!
Meetings usually start at 6pm and finish by 7.30pm.
The next meeting will be on Tuesday 25th February 2020 at Waitrose & Partners, Weybridge.
For more information about the February meeting, click on the image above.
The next meeting will be on Wednesday 20th February 2019 at Handelsbanken.
For more information about the meeting, click on the image above.
AIMS, PLANS & ACHIEVEMENTS
Aims Of Weybridge Town Business Group
To build successful business relationships, that encourage and influence key stakeholders to support our growth.
Key Stakeholders include:
– Elmbridge Borough Council
– Surrey County Council
- To encourage investment in the Town
- Develop a Town Vision for the future
- Use CIL Funds to achieve short term aims
- Create a Dementia Friendly community
- Organise events that encourage Town success
- Increase membership of the group
- Raise funds to support aims
- Weybridge Businesses and town to be promoted on website (All About Weybridge chosen as partner)
- Loyalty card scheme
Town Action Plan
The action plan is another step in the development of our partnership, bringing together the business group, Weybridge Society, St James’ Church and the Borough Council to work together to improve our town centre. The draft action plan draws together the priorities for the next 12 months.
To be successful we will need to support and engage across all of those involved and to work together to achieve more than we could do on our own.
Achievements To Date Include:
A More Influential Position With Council / Authority
- Great Weybridge Cake-Off & Market
- Weybridge Community Day & Prudential Ride London Surrey
- Christmas Market
Town A Bit Smarter
Less Vacant Businesses
Two Successful CIL Bids ( Christmas / Banners / Signage)
Proposals To Consider For Future
Events Organised / Planned For 2020
Weybridge Parking Project 2017/18
PROMOTING THE TOWN CENTRE
Events – Current Year
The events and dates planned for 2020 are:
VE Day Themed Great Weybridge Cake-Off and Artisan Food & Craft Market
Postponed to Saturday 12th September, in the new Streetscape area in the High Street. Planning cakes/judging to be on Monument Green
Weybridge August Market
High Street ‘Steetscape’ Area and Monument Green on Sunday 16th August
Christmas Market Event
In Baker Street and the new Streetscape area in the High Street, on Saturday 5th December
Events – Last Year
Weybridge Town Business Group organised and ran 3 successful events in 2019:
The Great Weybridge Cake-Off and Artisan Food & Craft Market
Monument Green on Saturday 15th June
Weybridge Community Day & Prudential Ride London Surrey
Monument Green on Sunday 4th August
Christmas Market Event
Baker Street on Saturday 30th November
Events – 2016 and 2017
Click on the buttons for information about the 4 successful events in held in each of the previous two years.
Promoting The Town Centre – Website
Weybridge Town Business Group has teamed up with All About Weybridge (the leading Weybridge website for over 10 years) to publicise it’s events and activities.
All About Weybridge also has a very strong presence on Google and other search engines and on social media, including over 6,600 followers on Twitter.
Local businesses are encouraged to contact All About Weybridge for their publicity needs.
They have affordable and flexible advertising which can benefit each client directly as well as encouraging more footfall in Weybridge town centre, to the benefit of all Weybridge businesses.
Please mention Weybridge Town Business Group when you contact All About Weybridge to receive some bonus publicity.